<$BlogRSDURL$>

The diary of a Saudi man, currently living in the United Kingdom, where the Religious Police no longer trouble him for the moment.

In Memory of the lives of 15 Makkah Schoolgirls, lost when their school burnt down on Monday, 11th March, 2002. The Religious Police would not allow them to leave the building, nor allow the Firemen to enter.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Comments 

Those who visit the comments page and attempt to post something will notice that I am now moderating all comments. That is, I look at them and approve them for publication or otherwise. This is because yesterday there was a fairly prolonged attack from someone using multiple names and IP addresses, making some very bitter personal attacks on me. Moderating comments is a pain for you and me both, and I hope to be able to relax it soon when whoever caused it goes away and discovers some true purpose in life.

Just to emphasise the rules I apply to comments, although 98% of those who visit are perfectly civilized people who don't need reminding:

What is allowed:

Comments supporting what I've posted
Comments querying what I've posted
Comments disagreeing with what I've posted
Comments disagreeing with my whole approach here
Comments disagreeing with other comments

What is not allowed

Personal attacks on or insults of other commentors (Common sense applies here. I'm not talking about jocular jests and friendly badinage. Apply the "Big guy in the bar" rule - if you said it to that big guy in the bar, the one with the beard and headband and the tattoos, would you be grateful you had dental insurance?)
Personal attacks on or insults of me.

On or two have got upset because I've limited their "Free Speech". My response is, if someone came into your house and kept slagging you off, would you respect their right to "Free Speech", or would you show them the door? (And if you're the guy with the beard etc., you'd probably choose the third option.) One other thing for the rabid minority to bear in mind; if you disagree with something that is posted, or someone's comment, there's nothing that shouts "I CANNOT DISPROVE WHAT YOU SAY" more obviously than trying to attach a label to that person, or making offensive personal comments. If you want to be taken seriously, address the issue, not the person.

One other point, for the tinyest minority who enjoy directing expletives at people. Don't expect me to delete the words, or the entire post, just to spare your blushes. I'm not your maiden aunt. Other people may be interested to see you in your uglier moments, and why should I protect you from yourself?.

Having got that out of the way, comment away, argue away, but let's keep it FUN!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?